Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Views from the Vault


I often post items here under the heading of Larry’s Vault or Larry’s Cartoon Vault.

Molly suggested I give a glimpse of what I'm talking about. Here’s a brief visual tour of the Vault itself....


Cluttered... lots of random original artwork (drawings in the background by John Groth, Jack Rickard, George Woodbridge, Foster Humfreville, David Posada, et al...), a lot of flat files, books, and portfolios with more art...and a comic book spinner rack (I found it on the street one night in the Sunset district of San Francisco many years ago).

The table way in the back behind the chair is my original drafting table I used when I was actively cartooning. An old school drafting table I purchased at a flea market over 30 years ago (the table was pretty battle scarred when I got it).  



Around the bend...more files, flat files, artwork..
The large screen mounted on the wall (a parody of the traditional 19th century
Japanese folding screens) was painted by Molly’s grandfather, New Yorker artist Rea Irvin.






Another view. Also another drafting table piled with portfolios, etc. (This drafting table belonged to the late great cartoonist / illustrator, Creig Flessel).

All the books seen here are graphic arts, illustration, cartooning and printmaking related works (ranging from Thomas Wright’s 1875 edition of A History of Caricature and Grotesque In Literature and Art to Criag Yoe‘s recent Comics about Cartoonists).

There's actually a lot more ("too much" - Molly would say) but that's probably gives you the idea.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a very comfortable place, indeed.
    (am having my very first one man show at Mill Valley Library during month of July) (they asked me out of the blue, and isn't that grand!) (Will remind you in a couple months--would love for you and Molly to see my prints)(It will be part of the M.V. Artwalk they hold each month around the 7th, I believe) Isn't life grand! Best regards, Donald Kinney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to butt in here again, but just looked up "Rea Irvin" and all I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete